For the past week I was swamped with back-to-back exams and I realized how tiring and mentally stressful exams can be. It doesn’t matter what course you’re doing because there’s always so much to study! I follow a few regimens that help me get through exams. I hope they help you just as much as they help me!
- It’s all in your head: There are always those subjects that you detest studying for but you have to push through it anyway. But you can get through it mentally, stop telling yourself that “You don’t want to study” or “I hate this subject.” That’s only going to make you come up with reasons not to study. So, clear your mind and tell yourself that you can do it, you will get through the exam. Think about what you can do after your exam is over and let that be your motivator to study and get through the exam!
- Take Timed Breaks: the thing with exams is that we think of everything we have to study and go over that we think we don’t have enough time. So DON’T overthink it. Plan your time efficiently and take breaks accordingly. A tea break, tv break, or a walk in the park can calm nerves and freshen your mind so that you can get more studying done!
- Gum: I don’t know if this actually works, but I read somewhere that if you are chewing gum it can help stimulate your brain and help you study (just a little.) So what I do to keep my focus during studying is chew gum, it helps me focus on what I’m doing and not get distracted by other things because I’m already occupied by the gum! It’s hard to explain but you guys should definitely try it out!
- Tea & other snacks: If you usually don’t eat a lot of healthy snacks then you should probably start during finals week. Nuts such as cashews are considered brain boosters, because they provide a source of zinc that can help increase circulation of oxygen (high school science knowledge would be great to understand this!) Walnuts, that evidently look like a tiny little brain act as a great source of antioxidants, vitamin E, and omega 3 fats that does wonders for our brains! Tea whether its green tea or chamomile tea is great to help you calm down, and provide for a stress-free study session! (Check out the benefits of different kinds of nuts: http://bit.ly/JXEp72)
- Hand-notes: Sometimes, if the content is not too much, it’s more effective to write hand notes. This can help you retain and reproduce the content better later in time! Also flash cards and key notes are super handy to look back on the day of the exam!